The secret to working with mature skin is five-fold
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Nothing pumps up the skin better than hydration. It also helps everything glide on better, including your concealer, foundation, sunscreen, blush, and everything else. Dermatologists often recommend hyaluronic acid, which helps with aging skin like nothing else. One good option is Neocutis Hyalis.
- Apply a retinol cream every few days. This is a fantastic way to maintain a brilliant glow and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Retin-A may be too harsh for aging skin, though. Dermatologists recommend a variety of products, including RoC Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer SPF30. Ariane has developed these simple techniques during her years of experience and says they are perfect for us, mature women. Primer evens out the skin and holds lighter weight foundations in place. Consider a tinted primer which gives the benefits of the primer, moisturizer, and foundation all in one.
- Exfoliate daily. Flaky, dry skin is not a good base for foundation or any makeup products. With time and persistence, you can get rid of it. Exfoliating every day with either a facial scrub or a washcloth dipped in coconut oil will help tremendously. Dr. Patricia Wexler, a dermatologist in her 60s, tells her patients to exfoliate in the shower because it's less messy. Whatever your method, just do it. Wexler's Skin Resurfacing Cream and Tracie Martyn Enzyme Exfoliant are two products that come highly recommended.
- Never go to bed without taking off your makeup. Either cleansing oils or creamy cleansers will leave your face nice and clean, ready to wake up refreshed for a new day. You'll find that products like Tracie Martyn Amla Purifying Cleanser and Dr. Patricia Wexler's Universal Anti-Aging Cleanser are great nighttime cleansers for mature skin.
- Use sun protection. Keep your face, neck, and hands out of the sun to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sunspots. Wear sunscreen on your face, hands, and neck, rain or shine, and hats if you are out in the middle of the day. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Sunscreen is an SPF 50 tinted primer that acts as a great base for foundation and other makeup.
The key to great skincare is to know your skin type. Your skin—whether it be sensitive, dry, or a combination—has special needs which is why your best friend's or your daughter's favorite moisturizer may not work for you. Once you know your skin type and buy products formulated for it, you should see good results.
If You Nice Curvy Girl
"I know a lot of plus-size women who follow one styling rule: HIDE THE BELLY," says Ospina. "But a lot of times, this results in wearing horrifically unflattering and baggy, fit-for-high-school-PE apparel. It’s not exactly a recipe for feeling good about yourself." - Curvy Mature - Kindle edition by Madison Poundings.
And shapewear can over-promise and under-deliver. "Oftentimes, shapewear and supposedly high-waisted jeans won’t actually make you look like an hourglass bombshell. They’ll create lumps where there aren’t any. So rather than focusing on hiding your tummy, find clothes that make you happy!"
Glamour - "My motto is it starts with the bra. Plus, you can show your lingerie off underneath your clothes—it will make you feel all kinds of sexy."